More United has always been about our community. Now it is through that same community spirit that we can do our bit to help tackle the effects of Coronavirus.
Our community has helped to elect 64 MPs from six different political parties and has shifted the dial on the biggest issues we face. Now we need to help each other to get through what is likely to be a tough few months.
It’s important that we look out for each other, especially the elderly in our community who may be relying on a social care system that is already overstretched. That’s why we’ve put together a quick list of things you can do if you’re looking for a way to help or looking for somewhere to turn for help:
Follow NHS and Public Health England Guidelines 🧼
- The NHS advice is that the best way to tackle Coronavirus is to regularly wash your hands using soap and hot water, for at least twenty seconds (try singing Happy Birthday twice!)
- Remember, if you develop a cough or a high temperature, you and anyone you live with should self-isolate for 14 days. All the latest advice is available here.
Donation drives 🤲
- Food banks and homeless shelters are asking for donations, especially since panic buying is causing shortages. The Trussell Trust will accept either financial donations, or you can find your nearest foodbank on this website.
- If you regularly donate blood, then please keep doing so. There is likely to be a drop as more people self-isolate, so if you can donate then please do. You can find how and where to give blood here.
Checking in with neighbours 🏘️
- We know that the emergency services and NHS are going to be incredibly busy, so we can all help out by checking in our neighbours, especially if they’re elderly, to see if they need anything.
- Self-isolation can be lonely, so if you know someone who is doing it, then why not offer to give them a call for a chat?
Register for a COVID-19 mutual aid group 👋
- These groups of volunteers are popping up all over the country to organise deliveries of shopping, drop-off medication and generally be a hub for local people in need of support. Find your nearest group here.